Sweet and Spicy Swine Kebab
Submitted by osukeith161
This is a recipe for Sweet and Spicy Swine Kebabs. This is a modified recipe from a cooking book originally titled "Pork and Pineapple Kebabs from Hawaii." We did not have enough pork on hand, and our desire to add heat led to the creation of the new recipe. It is very sweet and only moderately spicy (except for the slices of yellow hot peppers). This recipe served 4 (including the boxed rice, whose recipe is omitted).
- 2 Boneless Pork Chops
- 2 Ham Steaks
- 1 Medium Pineapple
- Pineapple Juice (if fresh pineapple does not yield enough)
- Hoisin Sauce
- Sriracha Sauce
- (Spicy) Dijon Mustard
- Olive Oil
- Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Red Delicious Apple
- 1 Sweet Onion
- 1 Medium Zucchini
- 1 Poblano Pepper
- 1 Anaheim Chile Pepper
- 1 Yellow Hot Pepper
- 1 Mild or Bell Pepper
- 2 Small Roma Tomatoes
- Bamboo Skewers
- Prepare marinade by mixing roughly a 6:4:2:1:1 ratio of Pineapple Juice, Olive Oil, Hoisin Sauce, Dijon Mustard, and Sriracha in a large bowl.
- Add Ginger and Red Pepper Flakes.
- Cube Pork and Ham into roughly 1 inch squares or cubes.
- Mix Pork and Ham into marinade and let sit for at least 1 hour and not more than 3 hours. (I do not know why their is a maximum, but the original recipe said so).
- This is a good time to begin soaking your bamboo skewers in water.
- Begin about 10 minutes before your marinade is complete.
- Cut Pineapple and Apple into cubes roughly the same size as the meats. Toss into a bowl.
- Clean and cut Peppers, Onions, Zucchini, and Tomatoes into skewerable pieces.
Assembly and Grilling
- Alternate ingredients and assemble to your liking.
- I recommend putting the pineapple and ham next to each other.
- Once all the skewers are assembled, put on medium-high grill.
- Drizzle a liberal amount of leftover marinade onto the kebabs immediately after placing on hot grill since it sat in raw meat. Discard the rest. Do not finish/top kebabs with the marinade.
- Grill for at least a few minutes per side to cook pork/marinade thoroughly.
- Remove from grill when veggies are beginning to char.
- The original recipe recommended serving the kebabs with rice pilaf. As one can see from the ingredient picture, we were lazy and went with Zatarans.
- Serve 3-5 kebabs per person.
- Plate the food much better than I did in this picture. (for some reason, taking pictures of the food no longer seemed like I a good idea once it was sitting there ready to eat).